Collage

Collage
Fun with dogs

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Rose City Classic, Portland, OR, 1/19/12 - Day 1

This weekend we're in Portland for the Rose City Classic, or RCC.  It is a huge show, with conformation, agility, and obedience, all indoors at the Portland Expo Center.  Rarely do we ever have indoor shows in this area, and this one gets a lot of public attention, so it's fun to show off your breed.

We arrived early, about 6:30, and had to unload in a torrential downpour.  It's the Northwest, I rarely ever mind our "normal" rain, and shrug it off like most people.  But the rain today was HORRIBLE.  So much more than we usually get, we are actually having flooding in some low lying areas.  Probably some of the worst rain I've seen since moving out here 10 years ago, but I digress.

Another aside, quick apology to those that follow my blog on a regular basis, I have been awful about blogging lately, skipping 1 show in November, 1 in December, and 1 in January.  Sorry!

So after several trips in the downpour, I got everything inside.  We were set up in between the obedience and agility area.  I tried to find my friend Kennedy's set up, but didn't have any luck, so we just grabbed our own space.

The plan for the weekend is as follows:
Thursday - Harry Potter is entered in agility, both Standard and JWW
Friday - Harry Potter is entered in agility, both Standard and JWW, and he is also entered in Rally Novice
Saturday - Harry Potter and Lexi are both entered in Rally Novice
Sunday - Harry Potter is entered in agility, both Standard and JWW, Lexi is entered in Rally Novice

Whew!  Crazy!  We are not doing agility on Saturday because we didn't get in, so I figured we'd toss in some Rally.  At this show obedience and agility are very close together, making it easier to manage entries in both.  And yes, I entered the baby dog!  I know, am I insane??  I haven't done Rally in over a year, and never in competition!  We'll see how it goes.  I'm expecting Harry Potter to at least pick up a leg or two, with Lexi, I just want some attention and good work attitude, I am not expecting qualifying scores.  If we get them, awesome.  If not, oh well. :)  She's only 22 months, so I need to be realistic and just try to set her up for a good ring experience!

Excellent B Standard
So today was an all agility day.  Our first course was Excellent Standard with David Hirsch.  Can I just say how much I LOVE his courses?  So big dog friendly.  He always puts in a few tricks, but overall is very fair and really pleasant to run under.


While walking this, there were only a few places that were a little tricky.  The plan was in to the tunnel, front cross between 2/3, then be sure not to push out too hard at the 180 (3/4).  There was a real chance that you would get that off course jump with the big dogs.  Rear cross between 4/5 to the table, around the loop (7/8/9/10/11/12), into the weaves, panel, tunnel, dogwalk.  There was the potential to miss the #12 if you pulled in too tight after the dogwalk, so I ran it out a few steps then pivoted for #12.  Then a fairly straight line to the finish after the push out to the triple.

HP performed well, on the 3/4 180 I ended up calling his name and he came in nicely.  After the number 12 jump, he looked at the off-course option but another name call worked well and we finished with a nice Q.  MX2 leg #6 and 17 MACH points!



Excellent B Jumpers with Weaves
Next up is jumpers.  Judge is Tim Pinneri.  We were lucky this weekend to have two great judges that are very big dog friendly.


Fun course!  I walked this course several different ways, with both front crosses and rear crosses.  What I ended up with was this:  We started on the left side, 1/2/3 and into the right side of the number 4 tunnel.  I stayed on the left over 5, and into the right side of the #6 tunnel, weaves, with a pivot around to 8, over #9 (on the right), serpentine and a send over 10, rear crossing between 9/10, then another RC between 10/11, and another at 11/12.  Front cross between 14/15, and another rear between 17/18.  It was a very nice run.  We Q'd for MXJ2 leg #3 and 7 MACH points.



Totals for the day: 1 QQ, 24 MACH points.

MACH totals so far:  7 QQs and 282 MACH points!

No comments:

Post a Comment